1. SEO! Before you even start make a list of key words. You'll want to know what words will give you the best spot for search engine recognition.
2. Choose A Host... thousands of sights are designed for web hosting but you'll want to choose a good one. Something like weebly is great for starting out and when you are ready you can pay for your domain.
3. ABOUT YOU - you'll want an about page. You want people to know who you are, what you do and what you're offering them.
4. Mailing List - it's the most important thing in the world. Email addresses are essential to building your brand. You'll want links on every page.
5. Brand Design... Every page should be unique whilst still being part of the whole. You'll want a colour scheme.
6. BLOGGING - start a blog. It's the quickest way to get going with getting traffic on your site.
7. Alt Text! You're going to need to put information into the advanced alt text for each and every picture. This all comes down to the thing at the very top of this list... SEO.
8. Links... You need to make sure that you have plenty of links to reach your product, Facebook page... etc.
9. Contact Page - you'll want to have a way for your visitors to contact you. They are the reason you want this site.
10. Share your site like mad! You'll want to tell everyone about it once it's live. If you are an author like me you're going to want to have a page for each of your books.